If it hadn’t of been for my mother, I wouldn’t have this career.
Seriously. I think about it often this time of year. Why? Because every October and November she would drag me out to every flea mall/ antique store in and around our area and make me hunt for every vintage Santa mug, pitcher or cookie jar I could find.
On the regular – she would take me to yard sales and estate sales. At a young age, mom taught me how to hunt. Eventually, I developed an eye for things I liked and I would put them away in my hope chest.
Mom drilled me to look for little details such as… look for the “Japan” stamp… Fenton is good. Fenton hobnail is even better. For years I learned these tips among many other. Later I added on to this base knowledge and begin adding in my own style.
Once we got home we would have to “display” the items of course (I now call this styling lol). So along with developing an eye for hunting “junk”, mom taught me how to arrange that “junk” in a way that instantly turned it into treasure.
I write this today because it hit me, I was taught these things not knowing it would later develop a career. She had no idea it would pay my mortgage, help send her grandkids to college (possibly) and provide me with nice things. Each little tip she gave me as a young child, I practice daily.
All because a grown up taught a little, I hunt for items, nearly daily, for customers. I write about how to style those items and I display soooo many vintage items in my home in hopes of inspiring other to embrace beauty in old things.
Share knowledge with little ones and don’t underestimate them… In many ways, childhood shaped us.
Y’all, I can’t express how excited/nervous I am to have this online store. We’ve had countless requests over the past year to list items online. Aaron and I have been working on to set it up here and there during brief moments between our hustle since early Spring.
Last Tuesday on the way to our friend’s house for dinner, we pressed the “go live” button and launched Classic Cottage Online. Yep, we were in the truck for this magical moment. Ha, there’s no time like the present time.
We began with one single item. Within minutes 5 people had it in their cart. Less than 15 minutes later, we sold out! (Ha, of our one item)
(Above are screenshots of our launch night)
Like I said, I’ve been nervous about branching out into this online adventure while keeping my other booths and blog afloat. Aaron had the bright idea of starting slow. (Y’all that man is full of the simplest yet SMARTEST ideas) So for now we’re going to be listing a few items at a time.
Thanks SO MUCH!!! Your support means EVERYTHING! Maybe soon I can share more about this whole new adventure!
She’s sweet, cute and altogether a little energy ball. It’s been a month since we found our new little furry surprise. I can’t believe I’m just now writing about it.
Her name is Priscilla Lemon Bowman. Also known as WeeWee.
It was late one evening and I opened the back door to our deck. That’s when I spotted her. Within 5 minutes Aaron had captured her. She made a really sad kitty cry so we gave her a small bowl of milk. This is the night Priscilla become part of our family.
Since then she has adjusted well to Rhett, Ellen and Oscar and thankfully they have adjusted well to her. (Ellen thinks she’s the mother) She absolutely loves attention and odd enough – cuddles!
We weren’t expecting a fur baby! But we’re so glad Priscilla Lemon found us!
Note – since then that night we have found/captured 2 more kittens. They will soon have a new home!!
Yesterday we spent all morning and early afternoon picking for Classic Cottage Co. then I took a MUCH needed LONG nap. Meanwhile Aaron worked on recording some new tunes. Btw, can’t wait for y’all to hear what he’s about to release!!
• I finished one of the most beautiful dresser & chest sets.
• One of my most favorite brands reached out to partner together.. more on that coming soon!
• I got behind on laundry (Yep, it happens even for those of us without children) and chose to not feel guilty about it.
Happy Sunday! The Summer is flying by. In fact, Aaron and I just booked a quick Summer getaway a few hours ago!! Yesssssss!!
June was good to us. After my sister left town last Sunday, I had the Monday blues. So I threw myself into work and reading books as hard as I could to get my mind off missing my sisters. I was determined to end June with a big bang business wise & it paid off. Classic Cottage ended June strong.
• Aaron made good progress on our powder room downstairs.
The hugest highlight of my week was seeing my older sister Kayla and her family. Kayla lives 12 hours away so this is a rare occasion. She also brought her 8 month old daughter, Emmy Kay. It’s been an incredible week.
• Aaron played at the Mason Jar in Auburn last Saturday night!
• We found two more kittens. Yep, our little kitten has brothers. We’re in the process of finding homes for the other two babies.
• Emmy Kay (my niece) came to Alabama for the first time. She had her very first taste of Auburn’s specialty, lemonade from Toomer’s Drugs.
• September Ocean is a watercolor artwork shop. Aubrey (the store owner) sent over a portrait of Aaron and I. It’s absolutely beautiful! Such a pleasure working with Aubrey on this project!
• I discovered the power of a new skincare product I’ve heard people rave about for years now. I tried Philosophy for the first time! The Good Morning Sunshine shower gel was amazing.
• We had a girl’s night! Kelbee (lil sister) and Kayla spent the night and Kelbee made us try anti-aging facial masks. 😂
Having my sister and her family in Alabama was amazing. It brightened my June and my heart is full. Thank you for reading our weekly Week Vibes!
Enjoying another Sunday evening! We’ve had an eventful week thanks for a little kitty who showed up on our back deck and made our home her home. She’s adjusting well to Oscar, Rhett, Ellen and her new mom and dad.
• We planted some pumpkin seeds in our backyard. Trying to grow our own and save some cash this Fall. Keep your fingers crossed for us! (To see the seeds we bought click HERE) Yay, Karlee’s going to have her own little pumpkin patch!!!
• Classic Cottage is doing well thus far in June! We’re hustling like there is no tomorrow.
• We got a piano!! My sent friend Ana (Owner of The French Flamingo) had a piano that needed a home! I will share pics soon!!
• This week was insane with our business and I couldn’t have made it without my Arie Leggings. Which are buy one get one free this week!! Click HERE to see!!
• We saw the movie Adrift in theaters. Very good movie!
• Aaron bought a Himalayan salt plate today. He grills a good bit of our dinners in the Summer so I’m so excited for him to use it.
Tonight we are relaxing around the house with yummy BBQ and fur babies! Thanks so much for reading!!
Never thought I’d say it but my Keurig days are indeed over. Keurig is one of the rmain reasons I began drinking coffee. My mom bought me a Keurig for Christmas 2013. She said it was from my “hot chocolate”.. One thing led to another, then I began dating Mr. Coffee Lover and now I can’t live without it.
T H E T A S T E
It began with Aaron. He no longer liked the taste on Keurig coffee. A year later, I started noticing a plastic-y taste. I much preferred coffee from a restaurant or coffee shop. It just tasted so much better.
T H E M O N E Y
Between the two of us it was nothing to use 4 k-cups a day. You don’t really realize how much that adds to your grocery bill.
T H E P L A S T I C
Hot water and plastic make me feel like I’m drinking chemicals.
T H E B U G
Even though we spray our house regularly, the occasional bug still wanders in. One morning, I opened the top of my Keurig to insert the k-cup & there was a black bug in the top where the K-cup goes. Yep. Worse part, the bug crawled into the Keurig to where I couldn’t get it. After this, I no longer used my Keurig.
T H E C L E A N I N G
Which brings me to my next point, how clean can we truly get it?
M Y S O L L U T I O N
I bought a kettle and dripper to make pour over. It takes a little extra time but the coffee taste MUCH better! It’s also saving on my weekly grocery bill. I can clean/rinse out the dripper daily. I have a new routine. I heat up the kettle as I’m unloading my dishwasher in the morning then just pour the hot water over my favorite blend.
I’m going to link the kettle and dripper I bought. If you’re wanting something faster I’m also going to link some more options.